The Saginaw News-MLive is back home in downtown Saginaw, in a building where it all started for us many decades ago.
We have moved into the shared workspace of Central Michigan University Research Corp. at the new SVRC Marketplace, 203 S. Washington Ave.
For those who don’t recognize that address and the building, it’s the former Saginaw News building. We moved from there to leased space in Old Town Saginaw nine years ago. And now, we are moving back, to share in the continuing renaissance of downtown Saginaw.
“It’s great to be back in our old building with such a modern vibe. The Saginaw News continues on a mission consistent with its history, a legacy we are all proud of,” said MLive Media Group President Dan Gaydou. “Central Michigan has been a key part of our journalistic tradition, training many who have worked for us in its J-School. We’re glad to be in partnership with them because we know they’re committed along with us to maintaining a watch dog presence in the Saginaw area. And we’re proud to be doing it with support from our business division that is innovating every day with solutions to help our advertisers prosper in the digital age.”
As digital journalists, we work from a variety of locations across The Saginaw News coverage area. That hasn’t changed with our move downtown.
After just a few weeks back, it’s great to report that the place fits us like a favorite pair of old shoes. It’s a big part of the 160-year history of The Saginaw News.
The building’s new owners have done a wonderful job renovating and restoring it. The structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016. It now includes the SVRC Marketplace and Farmers Market, the CMURC workspace and offices for a variety of businesses.
In fact, this week SVRC is getting an award from the Michigan Historic Preservation Network for its outstanding preservation of the building that first began putting out a newspaper in 1960. It’s the site of the previous Saginaw News headquarters, which was demolished as the new structure opened.
SVRC Industries is a local nonprofit that provides vocational rehabilitation services in Saginaw County and the surrounding community.
“Many people have been part of the historic Saginaw News legacy,” said CMURC President and CEO Erin Strang, “It is only fitting that the news is able to continue from this location through MLive’s Corporate CoWork Membership.”
The earliest predecessor of The Saginaw News started in 1859 as The East Saginaw Courier, a weekly, according to a history https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/16000838.pdf included in the National Register of Historic Places application in 2016. In 1868, The Saginaw Daily Courier began and the weekly was phased out. In 1889, the Courier bought the Saginaw Daily Herald and became the Courier-Herald.
In 1918, The Saginaw Evening News, another paper in town, bought the Courier-Herald and renamed the combined publication the Saginaw News Courier, then Saginaw Daily News and finally in 1936 The Saginaw News.